Pages

HL Jeans Co

Monday, February 28, 2011

OSCARS 2011- hits and misses & a few blasts from the past...

So it's that time of year again, and everyone starts 'buzzing' for the Oscars and the nominees come out and everyone holds their own opinion blah blah blah... to tell the truth i'm really not big on awards ceremonies, if it wasn't for the red carpet glamour I don't think anyone would be as interested, the ceremonies themself bore me to tears, it's just funny to see the actors faces when they don't get the Oscar.

But, I understand, it's a big deal, and in the fashion world it's even bigger and we're left for weeks after still laughing at what some people wore, still dying over some gorgeous ball gown and still left puzzled over some stars bizarre choice of dress?

Ideally I'd love to do a post on mens fashion at the Oscars but after extensive research, it's the same thing 50+ times, black tux, black suit, black suit, white shirt, black tie. Some get a bit wacky and go for a white suit (t a c k) but all in all it's pretty same same. Nothing interesting enough to write about. So i've gone through the best and worst from 2011, found some gorgeous dresses, some horrendous and some... meh. 

MY SHINING STARS... 

OK, so look past the dodgy back, and I think CATE BLANCHETT did something a bit different here. Apart from the yellow collar, the front looks classy and elegant. The detail is gorgeous and I'm loving the hair, it upsets me to see women over a certain age with ridiculously long hair, it suits you better shorter when you're older, fact.

Another one that was a bit different, I still can't decide. FLORENCE WELCH always stands out from the crowd, and this is no exception. Comments anyone? I'm stuck.
I'm not a huge fan of 'girl-next-door' ANNE HATHAWAY, but she looks chic & classy in this floor length FIRE ENGINE red ball gown. The detail on the side is a bit... off... but it suits her, it matches her pasty skin tone which I guess is a plus...

GWENYTH PALTROW has had a few hits and misses over the years, and like Florence Welch, i'm a bit indecisive  on this one.  I love how she always brings and element of sex appeal to her outfits, which I think really hots up the Oscars cos it can get boring, but the weird belt thing and the over shiny-ness. Hmm.

HALLE BERRY works it girrrrl! She's deffo a show-stopper & no way did she NOT stand out from the crowd in this little beauty. Different, a bit wild but still elegant. Love for Halle!

JENNIFER HUDSON goes classic Hollywood in this whirlwind twister ruby red ball gown. I think it's fabulous and enhances that FIERCE cleavage she possesses. 

 
MANDY MOORE looks nice. Yeah, nice. It could be a bit braver, it looks like it's getting exciting and then kind of... dies a death!? Just get into it, stop fitting a pole up your ass and have some fun. Mandy, not a bad effort (haha)

Look past the 'pint of Guiness' look, & REESE WITHERSPOON is rocking outt! It's a fabulous dress and she looks comfortable, stylish but not too overboard. I've got big love ever since she starred in 'Walk The Line' (one of my favourites), and she hasn't let me down, you go girl!


It's now time for me to get a bit bitchy, MY FLASH IN THE PAN FASHION DISASTERS...give me strength


BUSY PHILLIPPS working the sweet wrapper look here. Honey, go join your Willy Wonka co-stars over there >>>

HELENA BONHAM-CARTER, velvet? Really? Addams family couture has made a comeback this 2011 Spring/Summer has it?
F.A.I.L
C.R.I.N.G.E

I have a genuine reason for taking a immediate dislike to this dress. Don't laugh, but I'm petrified of Ostriches. Have been since I had a season pass to Whipsnade zoo as a child. HILLARY SWANK, please. Every year we get the Ostrich? Every year I shudder with disgust.

MELISSA LEO... now I remember what happened to that tablecloth I made back in Year 1... this hoe stole it.

This isn't so bad. It's cute in-fact, but I'm not loving the wrapping paper effect.

Memoirs of a Geisha meets the Oscars 2011. *Shudders* NICOLE KIDMAN, biggest fail of the evening? I think so too. It's un-flattering, makes her legs look weird (the bits that poke out), ORANGE SHOES? Peacock feather on the bust? And those hips!?

VIRGINIA MADESEN, just looks cheap. End of.

& now for a few blasts from the past... *can't watch*

CHARLIE THERON ISSSS gorgeous. But this, far from gorgeous. What's it making her body do. She looks a bit deformed, and the material looks cheap.

Uhhhhm UMA THERMAN. Is this some kind of Mamma Mia Meryl Streep take on the Oscars. She clearly found some spare material in the textiles department of her local high school, made a belt and thought 'Hey I look hot!'. Babe, you thought wrong.
Someone struggling with curtain syndrome again... Zooey Deschanel, (it's funny how 'Chanel' is in her surname and she still looks shit), this one's badly made (the dress not her) hangs awkwardly, (off the shoulder gone wrong) and ... i'm speechless. For once.

Yes. I let rip here. The Oscars is that one time of year I feel I can express my hatred for some shocking designs and kind of get away with it. Hope you enjoyed it,


No comments:

Post a Comment